Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Jackie's Story

Hi everyone. It's been YEARS since I posted a story to this site, but Jackie just wrote me with this story, and I can't not share it.

My period was very early (I had just turned 10). After about six months of having them, they became very irregular and would alternate between very heavy and insignificant flows. I would have severe cramps to the point of vomiting, muscle spasms, and off the charts migraines. By the time I was 15, my periods were so heavy that I could go through a super plus tampon in less than an hour, plus a pad. I became anemic, and went on iron supplements because of it. I had to stop going to physical therapy (I fractured my patella, partially ripped my meniscus, and tore part of my ACL about 6 months prior) due to becoming dizzy and disoriented easily. My iron levels dropped so low that I couldn't concentrate, and I ended up spending days at home on bed rest (with a doctor's note, of course). Between the therapy and the anemia, I missed nearly 1/2 of my sophomore of high school.



One day, when I was in class, I randomly began bleeding. A lot. The school called 911 because they thought I was having a miscarriage, despite my adamant protests otherwise. When I was taken to the ER, they found that I had an ovarian cyst the size of a golf ball pressing against my appendix. And it had ruptured. The bleeding stopped on it's own (thankfully), and they immediately sent me to the OB floor for a full check up. I ended up being diagnosed with a severe case of PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome).


(For those of you unfamiliar with PCOS, it can be rough. It's uncommon, but not rare. It's thought to be genetic. It can cause Type 2 Diabetes, obesity, lack of ovulating, acne, weight gain and retention, and (unfortunately) infertility due to not ovulating, and other disorders/diseases.)


I personally thought all was lost and I was going to lose my ovaries. However, my doctor suggested I started on the pill. I was placed on Ocella and was told to come back after 3 months. In the next ultrasound, they found that the cysts were becoming smaller and there were fewer of them!


The pill saved me from having to have a oophorectomy (ovary removal) due to all the cysts! It also inhibited their growth, and saved me from having to have regular (as in nearly monthly) surgery to have the cysts removed. It's helped me to stabilize my hormones, manage my weight, and keep my anemia under control. It also gives me a chance at actually having children! Although slim, my chances of conceiving have gone up due to the pill regulating my body and getting it used to ovulating. It'll be a few years before kids become an issue for me, but, thanks to the pill, I have some semblance of a future in naturally getting conceiving and giving birth to my own child!


Without the pill, I would have been though countless surgeries (I'm 21 now), and possibly have had my ovaries removed. I have since switched to Natazia, and am thankful that this medicine has helped me, as it has so many others. I am healthy, and have control of my life again. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I first had symptoms when i was 17 and was told that i had PCOS (thin people type PCOS) and was officially diagnosed at 22 ans now i am 35. I have always had regular periods and unless on birth control pills were they irregular at times and I had a hard time getting pregnant because of the absent periods. I was always told by doctors that I would have a hard time conceiving so I would only go on the pill periodically which i did for more than 4 years, not for protection against getting pregnant, but just to get a period (since I was told it's not healthy to have less than 4 or so periods a year). Last time I went on a 3 month birth control pill and then stopped again because the medicine was not curing my pcos nor making me get pregnant. I went in search for a cure and ended up with so many drugs, medicine and even soaps that didn't work. I actually thought at a point that i was cursed that there is no cure for it, i was prepared to live like that till i read a testimony of a patient who suffered from pcos whose case was even worse than mine and how she was cured completely, I was amazed and at thesame time anxious and curious so i had to contact the doctor with the contact details that she left on the note. The doctor gave me so much hope and confidence with her kind words of encouragement to believe in myself and i was lifted because no one has ever given me hope like that before. I ordered the medicine, took it for 8 weeks and to my complete surprise, all the facial hairs, weight gain and all disappeared within 4 weeks and I ended up getting pregnant within a few weeks of completing the treatment! I was in shock. I think the main reasons it happened was that I never gave up and was ready to try alternative treatment so my body was back to normal. Before now i never enjoyed sex because it was very painful but now i do and my husband is the best thing that ever happened to me.. I hope this inspires some of you because I never in a million years would have thought that I would get pregnant and was getting frustrated and now our baby is due next month! You too can reach her on [aletedwin@gmail.com] for more information, advise and also how to place an order for yours.