Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lori B's Story

Lori B tells us another story of how The Pill allows her to function normally.

I was incensed when I saw the American Life League's site and the blatant lies they intend to spread. Not only is their information just blatantly WRONG about how the pill works, they also ignore the fact the pill is used for a vast variety of gynecological issues.

My own story is I have a tubal ligation, but I'm still on the pill. This is necessary to me because I suffer from chronic long periods, even after an endometrial ablation six years ago. My ovaries are healthy and so is my uterus, but my periods can last for up to a month without the pill. My periods will come back to back with only a couple days of respite. The only option after this is a hysterectomy, and I really do not want to suffer through horrendously painful and invasive major surgery to remove an otherwise healthy organ. My last and only option is the pill. I've suffered from irregular and heavy periods since I first got them at 15 years old and it's been a nightmare. Without the pill, I could not hope to have a normal sex life or feel comfortable in my own skin day to day because my body cannot regulate it's own hormones and nobody knows why. I could not have had the family and life I do now. The pill is NOT just for birth control! The pill is a desperately needed and necessary medication simply for quality of life. I am far from the only woman who suffers from problems like this, and I know many who suffer much worse.

That's my story. You may call me Lori B. for your website.

Now, there's an interesting twist to this story. Lori's choice is between the pill, a hysterectomy, or hormones that are essentially out of control. Or, given the American Life League's self-proclaimed philosophical foundations, no choice but hormones that are out of control.

No comments: